- ABDOMINAL PAIN sometimes confused with IBS???
- FATIGUE you struggle to get up in the mornings????
- BLOATING, GAS, INDIGESTION sometimes confused with IBS???
- ORAL THRUSH sometimes appears as white film on the tongue?
- JOINT PAIN sometimes confused with arthritis???
- WEIGHT GAIN???
- FUNGUS on your fingernails, or athlete’s foot???
- CONFUSION, DIZZINESS you struggle to keep up with life??
- URINARY INFECTIONS that aren’t helped by antibiotics???
- RED, ITCHY EYES you can’t find eye remedies that help???
- RASHES AND ITCHING caused by the yeast infection???
- DEPRESSION, MOOD SWINGS that occur randomly and without warning???
- CRAVINGS For alcohol, bread and sweets???
- WHITE COATING ON TONGUE often in the morning??
- ACNE and other skin problems like eczema??
These symptoms are all related to do with what’s called Candida Albicans, an evil evil opportunistic fungus or form of yeast. Candida yeast is part part of the gut flora, a group of microorganisms that live in your mouth and intestine. When the Candida population starts getting out of control it weakens the intestinal wall, penetrating through into the bloodstream and spreading throughout the body. Once it starts to spread it produces toxic by products that cause damage to the bodies tissues and organs and essential breaking down your immune system. Everyone has Candida present in the body, however it’s the overgrowth of Candida that becomes concerning. Candida starts to cause trouble when there is some change in your body that allows it to overgrow. Candida can be caused by use of antibiotics, a diet high in sugar and carbohydrates and lengthy periods of stress. The occurrence of Candidiasis has actually been increasing rapidly over the last few decades. Our modern diet of processed food and sweets is partly to blame, but so are the increased prevalence of obesity and diabetes, plus the much more frequent use of antibiotics. Not surprisingly the amount of people suffering with Candida has been on an increasing rise over the past decades. Thanks to our wonderful ways of the food industry, diets high in processed and connivence foods help people take on diabetes and obesity thus also increasing hte use of antibiotics.Candida is often misdiagnosed by Dr. and most people suffering are treated for symptoms that Candida is causing but yet never getting to the root cause of the issue. Probiotics are an excellent supplement that help fight Candida and restore good bacteria in the gut. Refer to my previous post on Probiotics to learn more. http://aintnosugarcoating.com/2011/06/22/going-pro-probiotic/
Food does play a major role in the development of Candida and I have provided you with a list of Candida causing foods and foods that help fight Candida.
Foods to Eat
Vegetables starve the Candida of the sugar and mold diet that feed it
They also absorb fungal poisons and carry them out of your body
- Beet greens
- Brussel sprouts
- Carrots (raw)
- Collard greens
- Dandelion greens
- Garlic (raw)
- Green beans
- Kim Chi
- Sauerkraut (raw)
- Snow pea pods
- Spaghetti squash
- Summer squash
- Swiss chard
LIVE YOGURT CULTURES
Live yogurt cultures (or probiotics) help your gut to repopulate itself with good bacteria
The live bacteria in the yogurt will crowd out the Candida yeast and restore balance to your system.
Yogurt from goat and sheep milk is even better, as they tend to contain fewer chemicals
Good bacteria will also produce antifungal enzymes that can help you fight Candida
- Plain yogurt
- Organic Kefir
Proteins almost completely free of sugars and mold, so they fill you up while restricting the Candida
Eat fresh and organic meat if possible Beef
NUTS AND SEEDS
Nuts and seeds that don’t contain a high mold content
Nuts are a high protein food that starves Candida and restricts its growth
Avoid peanuts and pistachios as they tend to have a higher mold content
You can remove mold by soaking the nuts in water
Grains contain a high amount of fiber, excellent for keeping the colon clear so Candida doesn’t get a chance to multiply.
Grains also act like a pipecleaner in your intestine, grabbing nasty toxins like pollutants, chemicals, pesticides and heavy metals on their way through.
- Wild and brown rice
HERBS AND SPICES
Most herbs and spices are beneficial in your fight against Candida as they contain antioxidants and anti-fungal propertiesBasil
- Virgin Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Sesame Oil
- Pumpkin seed oil
- Macadamia Oil
- Almond Oil
- Flax Oil
- Coconut oil
- Coconut butter
- Peppermint Essential Oil
Foods to Avoid
The high sugar content in fruit feeds Candida
Fruits like melon may also contain mold
- Fresh Fruit
- Dried Fruit
- Canned Fruit
- Fruit Juice
Most dairy should be reduced or eliminated, goat and sheeps dairy is ok.
ADDITIVES & PRESERVATIVES
- Citric Acid
- Anything on the list of ingredients that you don’t know or can’t pronounce!
- Citric acid is derived from yeasts
- Chemicals can disrupt your friendly bacteria and allow the Candida yeast to flourish
- Citric acid is often found in canned tomatoes
- Non-organic food like meat or eggs can also contain residual levels of antibiotics and steroids that were used during the farming process
Alcohol is high in sugar that can feed the growth of the Candida yeast, Mixing alcohol and Candida is like opening all your windows in a house fire – you don’t want to feed the problem
- Black & Green Tea
- Diet & Regular Soda
- Energy drinks
- Sports Drinks
- Malted Drinks (e.g. Ovaltine, Horlicks, Caro)
- Coconut Water
- Fruit Juices (fresh or packaged)
- Caffeine, sugar and sweetener all kickstart Candida
- Taurine in energy drinks is another culprit
- Coconut oil is great for killing Candida, but coconut water is too high in sugar.
GRAINS & GLUTINOUS FOODS
- Anything made with wheat, rye, oats or barley, e.g. white bread, rye bread, pasta
- Spelt products
- Corn and corn byproducts
- Some Candida sufferers have high sensitivity to Glutens
- Corn-by products like popcorn are highly contaminated with toxic fungi
Nuts that are high in mold, e.g. peanuts and pistachios
Ingesting mold can promote a Candida outbreak
Nuts that were cracked a long time ago, for example sliced almonds, also have time to develop mold
MUSHROOMS / MOLDS
Candida loves to feed on mold and fungi. Leftover food can contain mold that will feed your Candida
- Leftover food can contain mold that will feed your Candida
- If you can’t buy fresh, keep leftovers frozen and then cook on a high heat in the oven (not the microwave)
Condiments tend to be high in sugar and can exacerbate your Candida
- Soy sauce
- Salad dressings
- Watch out – ketchup, tomato paste, and spaghetti sauces all contain high amounts of hidden sugar
- Condiments generally do tend to be high in sugar, and they can exacerbate your Candida
- For an alternative salad dressing, try Paul Bragg’s Liquid Aminos, or a simple olive oil and lemon juice dressing
- Rice Syrup
- Artificial Sweeteners (e.g. Asulfame, Nutra-Sweet)
- Agave nectar
- Coconut Sugar
Vinegar is made in a yeast culture, depletes the stomach of acids and can also cause inflammation in your gut
One particular vinegar, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, can actually be helpful in combating yeast.
- All vinegars, except for Apple Cider Vinegar
FATS AND OILS
- Peanut oil
- Cottonseed oil
- Corn oil
- Canola oil
- Soy oil
- Peanut, Cottonseed, Corn and Canola oil are mold contaminated
- Most soy beans used in soy oil are GMO (if you really like it that’s OK, but make sure you buy organic)
- Margarine/Shortening contain toxic trans fats
Most of these foods get eliminated throuhg phases and then can slowly bee reintroduced once Candida has been cleared and balanced.
Lastly here are some super Candida fighting foods:
- Coconut oil is a potent Candida killer, and one of the most potent antifungals there is.
- Garlic has powerful antifungal properties to attack Candida, while also preserving and boosting the good bacteria in your digestive system. Garlic stimulates the liver and colon, giving it a potent detoxifying effect on the body.
- Onions have strong anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties. They also help to flush excess fluids out the body – this is useful because many Candida sufferers experience water retention.
- Seaweed is a nutrient-dense healing food that will help the body in the fight against Candida. It is rich in Iodine to help balance your thyroid gland – Candida sufferers often experience hypothyroidism and its many symptoms. Seaweed flushes toxic pollutants and heavy metals from the body, cleanses the intestinal tract and helps eliminate acid from the body to balance your PH levels.
- Almonds have prebiotic properties that promote beneficial bacteria in the gut.
- Ginger has a detoxing effect on the body by increasing circulation and detoxifying the liver, in addition to stimulating the immune system. It has a positive effect on the digestive system and helps reduce intestinal gas. It also has a soothing effect on any inflammation that the Candida overgrowth may cause in your intestinal tract.
- Olive oil contains a plant chemical named Oleuropein, which is found in both olive oil and olive leaf extract. It contains powerful anti-fungal properties and stimulates your immune system response to Candida. It has also been shown to help stabilize blood sugar levels – this is important for Candida sufferers because elevated blood sugar levels can feed your yeast overgrowth.
Lemon and lime juice
- promote a more alkaline pH level in your body, which helps prevent and reduce Candida overgrowth.
- Pumpkin Seeds are high in Omega-3 fatty acids, which have anti-fungal, anti-viral and anti-parasitic properties. ‘Omega-3’s also help combat depression and symptoms of Candida inflammation such as pain and skin conditions.
- Cayenne pepper gives natural support to your digestive system and immune system. It helps to digest food and reduces constipation by cleansing the bowel of Candida and other toxins.
I have dropped a link to a Candida questionnaire designed by Dr William Crook which he developed to help you test to see if you have Candida. http://www.thecandidadiet.com/candidaquestionnaire.htm