I think this post is SUPER important, not only are most people unaware of sulphites in their food but unaware of what sulphites are. Sulphites are used as a preservative to prevent discoloration in food, bleach food starches, impede bacterial growth, and add stability to medication. Despite the dangers associated with sulphites, food regulators don’t care! However, you need to know and YOU HAVE TO CARE! Doctors are unfamiliar with the dangers of sulphites and have no idea how to detect them or treat them. Testing for sulphites allergies is not easy, so being aware and staying away from them is the best measure. You need to be dedicated to reading labels, sulphites are very common!!!!
Here are the MUST KNOWS of Sulphites!
Symptoms that may occur after ingestion include:
- Flushed face, hives or a rash, red and itchy skin
- Swelling of the eyes, face, lips, throat and tongue
- Trouble breathing, speaking or swallowing
- Anxiety, distress, faintness, paleness, sense of doom, weakness
- Cramps, diarrhea, vomiting
- A drop in blood pressure, rapid heart beat, loss of consciousness
Most Common Places You Will Find Sulphites
- Alcoholic/non-alcoholic beer, cider, wine
- Baked goods, e.g., breads, cookies, pastries, waffles
- Bottled lemon and lime juice/concentrate
- Canned/frozen fruits and vegetables, e.g., mushrooms, sliced apples, olives, peas, peppers, pickles, pickled onions, tomatoes
- Cereal, cornmeal, cornstarch, crackers, muesli
- Condiments, e.g., coleslaw, horseradish, ketchup, mustard, pickles, relish, sauerkraut
- Deli meat, hot dogs, sausages
- Dressings, gravies, guacamole, sauces, soups, soup mixes
- Dried fruits/vegetables, e.g., apples, apricots, coconut, mincemeat, papaya, peaches, pears, pineapple, raisins, sun dried tomatoes
- Dried herbs, spices, tea
- Fish, including crustaceans and shellfish, e.g., shrimp (fresh/frozen)
- Fresh grapes, lettuce
- Fruit filling, fruit syrup, gelatin, jams, jellies, marmalade, molasses, pectin
- Fruit/vegetable juices, e.g., coconut, grape, sparkling grape, white grape
- Glazed/glacéed fruits, e.g., apples, grapes, maraschino cherries
- Potatoes, e.g., frozen french fries, dehydrated, mashed, peeled, pre-cut
- Snack foods, e.g., candy, chocolate/fruit bars, tortilla/potato chips, soft drinks, trail mix
- Soy products
- Starches, e.g., corn, potato, sugar beet; noodles, rice mixes
- Sugar syrups, e.g., glucose, glucose solids, syrup dextrose
- Tomato paste/pulp/puree
- Vinegar, wine vinegar
The Important FYI’S
FYI #1: Headaches / migraines. Often this symptom is overlooked because headaches are so common, but this could be an early warning sign of larger sulphites dangers to come.
FYI #2: Hives. People with sulfite allergies can break out into hives or a rash if they ingest sulfites, or even touch them. Depends on the severity of the allergy.
FYI #3: Joint pain. Swelling and pain of the joints can be closely connected to ingestion of sulphites.
FYI #4: Death. sulphites can cause anaphylactic shock!
FYI #5: Medication. A lot of prescription and over-the-counter medications contains sulfites. Let your doctor know you’re allergic so he won’t prescribe sulfa drugs for you. They can really mess you up if you’re allergic to sulfites.
FYI #6: Not knowing how to recognize a sulphites. These are the most common names of sulphites.
- Potassium bisulphite/metabisulphite
- Sodium bisulphite/dithionite/metabisulphite/sulphite
- Sulfur dioxide
- Sulphiting agents
- Sulphurous acid
- E 220, E 221, E 222, E 223, E 224, E 225, E 226, E 227, E 228 (European names)
Now that you have a better understanding please be conscious of sulphites, Be informed, be aware and take care!